If you’re aspiring to own a home in Brampton, Mississauga, Caledon, or anywhere in Ontario, one critical milestone on your journey is securing a mortgage pre-approval. Let’s discuss why it’s so crucial and how to go about it.
The Importance of a Mortgage Pre-Approval: A Realtor’s Perspective
As seasoned Realtors®, we can’t stress enough the value of having a mortgage pre-approval when you’re in the market for a home. A pre-approval enhances your credibility in the eyes of sellers. This is especially vital in multiple offer situations, where sellers are likely to favour buyers who are financially vetted. Avoid the heartbreak of losing your dream home by getting pre-approved.
Importantly, it’s worth noting that receiving a mortgage pre-approval is not a guarantee you’ll ultimately secure a mortgage. While it does indicate you’re a strong candidate, situations can arise that may cause the pre-approval to fall through. To understand more about this, you can read our blog on Can Pre-Approved Mortgages Fall Through?
Your Options for a Mortgage Pre-Approval
You have various avenues for securing pre-approval, including traditional banks and mortgage brokers who can shop around for the most competitive rates on your behalf. It’s wise to compare multiple offers to ensure you’re getting the most favourable terms.
Steps to Secure a Mortgage Pre-Approval
For Salaried or Wage-Earning Individuals:
1. Gather crucial financial paperwork like your latest pay stubs, bank account summaries, and tax returns, along with notices of assessment for the last two years.
2. Arrange a consultation with a lender of your choice.
3. Fill out the lender’s pre-approval questionnaire, which generally includes a soft inquiry on your credit.
4. Upon approval, you’ll be issued a pre-approval letter, which will serve as a financial compass in your home-buying journey.
For Self-Employed Professionals:
1. Assemble supplementary documents such as your business’s financial reports, evidence of ownership, and any contracts or invoices that affirm your revenue.
2. Book a meeting with your preferred lending institution.
3. Complete the necessary pre-approval paperwork, also likely involving a soft credit check.
4. If approved, you’ll get a pre-approval letter to help you narrow down your housing options with greater precision.
Ready to Make Your Homeownership Dreams a Reality?
If you’re eyeing property in Brampton, Mississauga, Caledon, or anywhere in Ontario, securing a mortgage pre-approval should be your first action item. Need assistance with this vital step? Feel free to reach out by clicking here or by calling 416-451-2592.